What happened to all the chips? From the microchips that power the Sony’s PS5 to the smart chips that control autonomous vehicles, in this week’s episode Will and Caden dig into the science and economics behind the chip shortage that’s stalling out the production of entire industries.
- Infineon, Chip Manufacturing – How are Microchips made?, YouTube (July 17, 2019) [Link].
- Fairchild Semiconductor: The 60th Anniversary of a Silicon Valley Legend, Computer History Museum (September 19, 2017) [Link] (The story of the traitorous eight).
- AnnaLee Saxenian, Regional Advantage: Culture and Competition in Silicon Valley and Route 128 (March 1, 1996) [Link].
- Why is there a shortage of semiconductors?, Economist (February 25, 2021) [Link].
- Veldhoven, How ASML became chipmaking’s biggest monopoly, Economist (February 27, 2020) [Link].
- Semiconductors pose an unwelcome roadblock for carmakers, Economist (August 7, 2021) [Link].
- Larry Rulison, Schumer met behind scenes with IBM on national chip lab, Times Union (July 26, 2021) [Link].
- United States Innovation and Competition Act of 2021, S.1260 [Link].