In this episode of Exformation, Will and Caden take a step back from the usual policy conversations to ask: what are some of the great challenges we could solve if innovation and technology weren’t so cost prohibitive? Will discusses his top three projects, de-extinction and ecological diversity, cross-species communication, and mosquito-transmitted disease eradication. The leaps in innovation that make all three possible may simply be pet projects for billionaires, but their value to the world could make the world a better place for millions.
- West Wing, Institutional Knowledge, Season 7 Ep. 21, YouTube [Link].
- Ross Andersen, WELCOME TO PLEISTOCENE PARK, The Atlantic (Apr. 2017) [Link].
- Phillip Hoare, Sperm whales in 19th century shared ship attack information, Guardian (Mar. 17, 2021) [Link].
- Hal Whitehead, Tim D. Smith and Luke Rendell, Adaptation of sperm whales to open-boat whalers: rapid social learning on a large scale?, Royal Society (Mar 17, 2021) [Link].
- World Mosquito Program, The Wolbachia method [Link].